Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Believe

I Believe
Quentin Smeltzer, SmeltzerNation, 7/11/10

I believe the war in Iraq was a terrible mistake, a war of choice, and a diversion from the real mission in Afghanistan.  I also believe it kinda, sorta looks like we won.

I believe that Afghanistan was the real threat.  I also believe no good will come out of fighting a ground war in Afghanistan.

I believe that the Bush Administration stripped away regulation to the point where the BP disaster could occur.  I also believe business should not be hampered by red tape and needless regulation.

I believe that every dollar of income over one million dollars per year should be taxed at eighty percent.  I also believe that the day I make over one million dollars per year, the eighty percent tax rate cut-off should be moved up to three million dollars per year. 

I believe that large corporations are making obscene profits.  I also believe the corporate tax rate in this country should be cut to align with the rest of the world. 

I believe that the Bush tax cuts should be allowed to expire.  I also believe that the death tax should remain at zero, at least for a few more years, as my parents are getting somewhat elderly.

I believe that the Tea Party supporters are a peculiar cocktail of two parts stupid and one part crazy.  I also believe a world of limited government, personal freedom and no taxes would be ideal. 

I believe that President Obama is a transcendent figure in American politics who has achieved an extraordinary amount against enormous forces weighing against him.  I also believe his presidency has been kind of underwhelming so far. 

I believe Rush Limbaugh is a material threat to our civil society.  I also believe he’s quite entertaining and he frequently makes me smile. 

I believe America does not need tens of thousands of troops in Germany, Korea and Japan.  I also believe it’s pretty cool we can kick ass anywhere in the world when we need to. 

I believe Sarah Palin is a moron.  I also believe I’d like to have her book sales and speaking fees.

I believe Chris Matthews asks his guests some very important questions.  I also believe if he would stop shouting second, third and fourth rephrasings of these same questions at his guests, it might be interesting to hear their answers. 

I believe that the military industrial complex is a dark and sinister force in American politics.  I also believe I would jump at the chance to work for Sikorsky, Lockheed Martin or Raytheon.

I believe AIG executives should have been frog marched off to prison.  I also believe the government should not do anything to impede our global competitiveness in the financial sector. 

I believe Glenn Beck is an embarrassing idiot. 

I believe religion is the opiate of the masses; a silly fairy tale for the weak of mind.  I also believe God will save me if I pray hard enough when I really screw up.  

I believe I am a right-of-center conservative.  I also believe I am a proud liberal.

No comments:

Post a Comment